Sunday, July 18, 2004

Magic @ OTH Sat 7/17/04

I started planning the details for this about a month ago, when I got the itch to do something with Magic: The Gathering again. What I figured was that there would be some other people who would enjoy a booster draft, people who missed organized Magic games since Area 51 closed a couple of years ago. With Richard at Old Town Hobby (Shelton, WA) carrying gaming stuff now, I knew that was the place, since there's a meeting room upstairs. He's a great guy, and was all for it. Originally, it was going to be $12.50 and he dropped it to $10, with good prizes, did an in-house flyer and a couple of ads in the Journal. I called the guys two weeks ahead, a couple of days ahead and a couple of guys on the day of to remind them.
    We had eight players, plus me to judge and score, armed with a fresh copy of Scrye. It took a little while to get going (sign ups began at 10, initial play at 11:15), but everyone seemed happy to be there and willing to wait a bit for a couple of guys. The boosters were Dark Steel, Mirrodin, and Fifth Dawn. Richard also threw in one free dice from his jar for each player. I randomly determined table seating and initial pass direction. Drafting took about 40 minutes or so, and deck assembly took about another half hour. 
   After 3 rounds (Swiss scoring) of intense competition, the rankings were pretty close to settled. The final four ended up as Zach, John, Carson and Ian. The 5-8 ranked players were Jon, Chaun, Beau and Sam. I had a great time, and there were very few occasions where anyone needed a ruling. I had John act as 2nd judge, since he has kept current with the new cards. Thanks to everybody, we all had a great time, see you on the 3rd Saturday in August and September! - Dave

No comments: