Saturday, May 07, 2005

Magic: The Gathering -- Tapdancer Rematch

Last Wednesday it was just Carson and me, so we played Magic. He just brought his proxy-heavy "Tapdancer" deck, which is an elf deck that takes advantage of their mana production and untapping abilities, then putting equipment on them to "Tim" (after the mage in Monty Python's Holy Grail, a term for a creature tapping to deal 1 damage to any target) over and over again. Or just make a HUGE Ivy elemental. His deck is so well-tuned, it goes off every time and beats the crap out of my decks, except for my Earthquake (red/white) deck and my Crypt Rats deck. Basically, it you need a way to take out a lot of elves in a hurry, because his deck is really fast, so unless you've taken out 3-5 of them by the time you put out your 4th or 5th land, it's probably all over for you. It was a lot of fun, I've been itching to play Magic for a while. Last time I played against Tapdancer, it was really good, but he re-tuned it so now it's even faster. In one game, he had two Ivy Elementals, one 29/29 and one 31/31 by the 7th or 8th turn I think. In another game, he had his life total to something like 140. My Hurricane deck, which has a lot of elves, but also COP: Green also lost to Tapdancer, because it just sped his deck up more. Though now he's thinking about putting in a certain X/X regenerator from Tempest...

No comments: