Sunday, August 12, 2007

Mordheim, Mutants & Masterminds

Rob, Rod, Phil and I played three games of four-player Mordheim using three big battlemats and my growing collection of ruins for terrain over the ol' pool table. I made a square 6-story gutted apartment that should be pretty good. Rod's Skaven suffered some losses this time, but even so they did not lose even one skirmish, or miss one survival roll. Phil started a Witch Hunters warband, Rob alternated between Orcs and Undead, and I played my Lizardmen. Although I gained and lost a few henchmen and one hero, the scaly guys are getting better overall as I am adjusting my strategy a bit, which helped in the third battle. Speaking of spells, I was fairly lucky with mine going off, and especially lucky for some enemy spells that did not go off--especially warpfire (I think that's what it would have been). I find it helps to keep my guys close together, but not too close because of area of effect spells. I'm getting better at counter-charges but also knowing when to hold back and hit from a distance. It also helped that I made so many 6+ armor saves, a lot of leadership checks and no small number of survival rolls. I have six heroes that are continually getting more skills and lizardmen equipment such as javelins and bolas, but the real changes have been to the henchmen. Several battles ago, I decided against replacing the Kroxigor again for now because he's so expensive and draws so much fire from crossbows and warplock pistols, though I really liked his Move of 6 and fighting skills. It's much the same situation I found myself in with my Osterlander warband. If I had spent those gold crowns on other things, both of these warbands would be a bit stronger by now. I've gone from 6 to 3 Henchmen and now have two Skinks that are basically archers and one Saurus who will never fire a ranged weapon. Nine is a bit nicer number when it comes time for selling wyrdstone, but it exposes my six heroes to more risk. My "Zhempest Fugitt" Lizardmen Temple Guard of the 401st Spawning now have a warband rating of 222, but still got a +2, +0, and +1 underdog xp bonuses in the three skirmishes.
You might want to check out the Mordheim Town Cryer entry Penny found online about the Mordheim Widows warband, it looked kind of interesting, and it makes you think about an important aspect of Mordheim.

Later, Carson joined us at Rod's to run his heroes campaign. My new character ANT has mutant ant powers: he can basically corrode a target with fire ant acid, disintigrate, build or repair things with waves of ants, or turn into a super strong, armored giant ant. Special phoernomes and mind links allow him to influence and communicate with his "human colony." He can even change into a colony of mutated ants that can burrow through the ground at 25-100 mph. Rod's character, PsiFire is psionic; she can read minds and burn things. Rob's character is a super-strong faceless rock-man who can't stop growing. The game, Mutants and Masterminds is great; you can basically design your character to do just about anything you can imagine until you run out of points. It's pretty easy, similar to the d20 system so it's quick to learn. Because it's a superhero game, the characters are crazily powerful. It's like Mutant X meets X-Men meets Heroes in Los Angeles in the 1980's. There are several rival pro-mutant and anti-mutant groups (and organizations in the middle) competing for control, plenty of interesting politics and character and npc interactions. For example, a mutant called Switch, who was thought dead, re-appeared but had no body because his power is to switch psyches and he was switched out when his body was slain. All of our minds and bodies got scrambled up in the middle of a battle, so we couldn't tell who the bad guys were! Carson is a great GM and I had fun. Thanks!

No comments: